Friday, June 1, 2012

I was hoping by now that I would be able to exercise a little harder than I have been and that my back would have seen some serious improvements but it's not coming along very fast.  Some of that could be because I got derailed for a little while with the whole almost losing my leg thing.  Maybe it will never come back to full strength.  But I'm also getting stagnant with the weight loss.  So I really am looking forward to see what we'll be able to do with this whole caveman diet that we are starting on Monday.  Our Crossfit The Club group is doing a challenge starting the same day so it's perfect timing.  I went to a class with them on Wednesday but it was more advanced than I am and I felt a little lost because they all seemed to already know about the whole paleo thing, but I really don't.  So Katie and  I will be spending time this weekend researching the whole can and can not haves.  What I have noticed is that there seems to be different level of paleo eaters.  Some add some dairy, like whey powder, whereas some won't even do that.  Some say they will only eat organic and some say they don't care as much.  I probably should have done one of the earlier challenges with everybody so I know what the heck I'm doing.  But still, better late than never. 
We've enjoyed cleaning out our fridge of everything yummy this past week and each day my daughter Megan says she's really going to miss whatever meal we were having.  Today was a great summer grilled hot dog meal.  I also am going to miss them.  I'm probably going to have to go get one last Slurpee tomorrow since that's a summer favorite. 
We've been looking at all of the specialty foods like coconut milk and crap like that, that we need to buy and also realize that eating paleo is going to be really expensive too.  So this isn't really the greatest time to start it for us but we'll always have some excuse of why it's not a good time to start it.  So we're doing it and I'm glad that we'll be doing it together.
I also have to rethink how I do the whole picture thing.  I've been slacking on doing the daily picture because only a handful of people in class remember that I'm even doing this blog (heck, I've almost forgotten that I'm doing this blog) so they probably think that I'm a total tool when I ask someone to take my picture after I workout.  I tried to do the self portrait in the mirror thing but it just showed a big flash but I still want to document my daily progression so I think I'll just make Katie take a daily picture of me and we'll see how that goes.  

The whole daily picture is getting dull so I made my friend Laurie stand in this one.  I think my green socks and her pink jacket really complement each other. 

2 comments:

  1. Paleo can be overwhelming-if you let it!

    There are a few basic ideas that are most important:

    *eat real food-not food out of a package
    leaner meats, vegetables, fruits and nuts and seeds.

    *there is every variety of "paleo" you just have to figure out what helps you. There is a type that uses the term Primal-they allow a bit more dairy.

    The books I would suggest to you are Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint(he has a website-Marks daily apple.com)

    Paleo Solution by Rob Wolfe

    I have been 80/20 paleo for a least a year. I have yet to use coconut milk. I bought a can, just haven't learned how to use it!
    The biggest thing that has helped me is the reduction of grains and sugar. When I binge at a reunion or something and eat more grain I actually can tell the inflammation that is in my system. My figers are pudgy and my eyelids are puffy. I have had a chronic hip ache(nothing like your pains) that is just a bother, when I stay grain free it doesn't bug me.

    Don't get overwhelmed. Just try to keep it simple for awhile. As you learn more you can add different types of foods. For the first 30 days you just want to try and remove the grains and sugars from your diet--that means increasing the vegetables and lean meats!

    I have found that I actually now spend less at the store because I don't eat any of the processed snack or convienience foods. I buy real food that has been minamally processed.
    If you can afford all organic and grass feed beed than do that-if you can't don't worry about it-any of the small changes will help you.


    PS I found a hot dog that was pure beef without all the added stuff-I don't remember the brand but I got it at Target. My kids didn't even know that is was a healthier dog!!

    Good luck!
    If you have questions anyone will help you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just bookmarked Mark Sisson and Rob Wolf's websites. There's a lot of good stuff on there. I'll also be checking out those hotdogs at Target. I'm sure I'll probably have a lot more questions as we get started. Thanks for the help!

      Delete