Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cauliflower "Rice" Pilaf
Since I'm not officially part of the clean eating challenge, I didn't get to do all of the body fat and measurements that the rest of them did so I decided that my goal weight is "getting something out of my pants pockets without having to stand up" weight.
We're getting better with the Paleo thing.  I'm not saying that the food is amazing and that I don't miss a good bean burrito but we able to make foods that don't leave you hungry for more.  Katie's still a perfectionist in the kitchen so that definitely helps.  She has a ton of paleo cooking blogs that she takes ideas from and then makes them even better.  She has a pilaf made of shredded cauliflower that was about as good as a good rice pilaf.  I would actually eat that even off of the diet.




This is  basically what I thought that I'd be eating for the entire week.  Boiled eggs for breakfast and some lunch meat and lettuce for lunch and dinner.  We actually do have a lot of eggs for breakfast but we do break up the monotony of the smoothies by adding different fruits.  We also try to see how much spinach we can put in it without changing the taste.  We've pushed the boundaries a little too much a couple of times but mostly we've had some pretty tasty smoothies.



Jimmy Johns Unwich




Another thing that has saved us is the Jimmy Johns Unwich.  Basically their sandwiches in a lettuce wrap and their avocado spread .  Katie's been spending a ton of time worrying about every meal so it's nice to occasionally stop and pick something up.











We've gotten very good at making "one minute almond muffins" too.  That's helped when all I've wanted was a sandwich.  We found some sweet potato chips that aren't too bad.  I'm sure they aren't the best things for you since they are still fried in oil, but they're better for you than Doritos.











The other thing that we've gotten good at is making our own mayonnaise.  We tried it a couple of times at the beginning but it took way too long and was a pain because you had to slowly mix in the oil.  If any of my (one reader) makes their own paleo mayonnaise, let me know and I will tell you an very easy and simple way to do it and it makes some great mayo. When I say it has changed our life, I'm not exaggerating.  We might actually continue to make our own even after the challenge is over. 

We used the mayo to make this broccoli slaw.  The bacon wrapped chicken is pretty tasty too.

So I will quit complaining about the bland paleo food and get back to complaining about the WODs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment