Thursday, September 6, 2012

Paleo Bread



One of the things that I won't deny is that I'm addicted to bad carbs (crackers, chips, breads etc.) So while we've been eating paleo for the past 3 months, Katie's been able to make things that are great and I haven't been hungry but I have been craving bread.  So I was excited when I read that there was a product named Paleo Bread.
 
I had been searching for a couple of months now and I saw that Good Earth was selling it.  So I went and bought a loaf.  The loaves are actually pretty small, like the little loaves of banana bread.  They are also pretty expensive for the size, almost $7, but I figured I'd give it a try because I was craving bread.  They have it in almond or coconut so I chose the almond.
I got it home and tried a piece plain but it was actually really chewy, almost like chewing wet paper, and didn't have much of a taste to it.  So I decided to try toasting it and putting honey on it.  So I toasted a piece but it didn't turn brown, so I toasted the same piece 2 more time (I'm seriously not kidding) and it didn't burn, it didn't even turn brown.  That's kind of strange but whatever, I put on a little bit of butter and honey and tried to eat it. I don't know how to explain the taste other than kind of chalky.  I'm hoping someone I know buys some and tells me if I'm being over dramatic because I'm not.  So to compare it with something else, I made a one minute almond muffin and still love the one minute muffins whereas the Paleo bread....not so much.  Finally to do a more comparable taste test, I wanted to test it against something that it was more similar to.  So, I went and cut out a piece of sheetrock, toasted it and put some butter and honey on it.  
Here's where they compare:
-Nutrition: Obviously the Paleo Bread is more nutritious
- Taste: The sheetrock was slightly better in taste
-Consistency: That's a tie, if you were to wet down the sheetrock a little you couldn't really tell a difference.
-Cost: The Sheetrock was definitely a better deal.  $9 for a 4ft by 8ft sheet compared to $7 for a tiny loaf of Paleo Bread.
In my opinion, after waiting so long I was sorely disappointed by the Paleo Bread in almost every way.  I'm hoping someone else buys some and tells me that I just got a bad loaf.  Until that time, I'll stick with making my own one minute muffins and eating the occasional piece of drywall.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment